Sunday, March 1, 2015

First day at Seongryong Elementary School!


After two great years at Taepyeong Middle School, I decided to change to elementary. Not only will it make me a more versatile and experienced teacher...the truth is, the kids are adorable!


My new elementary school is called SeongRyong Elementary School. Just a 10-minute commute to work (2 stops on the subway, and a walk around the corner), my new school is in a great neighborhood.
SeongRyong Elementary School

Before class started, the new teachers had to introduce themselves to the students on the morning announcements broadcast. I was told that I should not bow, just wave, and say a few short words to the camera.  So all the new teachers lined up, I was the last one. The principal introduced them one by one and they bowed without saying anything.  Then it got to my turn. I heard the principal introduce me in Korean. He told the students my name was Erica teacher and I was from Canada... I looked in the camera, waved and said, "Good morning students. My name is Erica teacher. I am from Americaaaa. Nice to meet you." My coteacher patted me on the back and told me I did a great job, despite how awkward I felt.
She whisked me away, up the stairs, into our office. There are 4 Korean English teachers at my school. Each one of them is the only English teacher for their grade. I think it is a good system.
My name tag! 원어민 means "native speaker" in Korea.

My wonderful co-teachers!

 I sit next to all four of them in the office.  I think we will be more productive because of the layout of the office. It's a great working environment.
As soon as I arrived, I took off my shoes, put on my high-heeled leopard print slippers, and walked to the 2nd floor.  I share an office with all the specific subject teachers (English teachers, PE teachers, art teachers, and music teachers). The homeroom teachers have different offices.  I was really impressed that this school has a desktop computer for me and I have MY OWN CLASSROOM. It is called "English Land." English Land has a nice monitor, computer, white boards, and the room is filled with teaching materials and board games. It looks fantastic!
This is my desk! I have my very own desktop computer!
English Land! This is my classroom door!
So many resources I have at my fingertips!
My classroom!
This is my view of the classroom while teaching!





I just ate lunch with the English department. In contrast with my old middle school, at this school, the lunch ladies serve food on your tray. It just means I am going to have my portion sizes more controlled. Also, instead of waiting until after lunch was over to drink, we now have a kettle of Jasmine water on our lunch table.

Today during lunch, I accidentally choked on my rice. The teachers immediately poured me some jasmine water. So nice of them. They also made sure to compliment my superior chopstick skills. "You're even better than me!" they said.  I told them I learned in America at Chinese restaurants when I was younger and they were really impressed. "WHOAAA!"

I don't start teaching until Wednesday, so today I am planning my introduction lesson, and later I will meet other teachers at the school. All the new teachers will have a staff dinner at 5:00pm. Tomorrow morning I will go to the immigration office to extend my visa for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment