Thursday, September 5, 2013

The best compliment yet...

It's funny.  My wildest class of boys has suddenly calmed down.   I actually started to enjoy teaching them and sharing funny stories with them in class.  Today just reiterated my new-found peace with the all boys first grade middle school class: 1-5.

As part of this lesson's key phrases, we were brainstorming different ways to say, "You did a good job."  The students started listing off expressions and I wrote them on the chalkboard.

Fantastic!
You're amazing!
Unbelievable!
Way to go!
Nice work!

And then a student raised his hand and said, "Gorgeous!"  I paused and said..."Well, do you know what that word means?  It doesn't mean good job, it means very beautiful...like a movie star!"

The class simultaneously said, "Wow!!!!"  Then a boy said, "Erica Teacher, you are gorgeous!  Similar to Angelina Jolie." 

I giggled, "Me? Angelina Jolie?  Really?"

The class said, "Yes, very similar."

And then one boy said, "But you are prettier!" 

I smiled.

Out of nowhere, all the boys in the class started applauding...I felt like so funny, like I should bow and say "Thank you, thank you" and wave off the runway.

I laughed and said, "Wow! You guys are getting more points!"

I don't care that I don't look like Angelina Jolie.  Those boys are finally behaving themselves and turning into nice young gentlemen!  I'm glad I didn't give up on that crazy class.  They are coming around!


No comments:

Post a Comment