Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pre-travel jitters

Well, it has suddenly hit me that I am going to be in Korea for an entire year and that I should probably start packing!!!  It feels almost surreal that I am going...I feel like I have been just counting down the days, but that it was too early to start packing.  Suddenly it seems like I have to rush to say goodbye to everyone and run a thousand errands.

As I have been preparing for my adventure, I have been given lots of interesting packing tips.  First of all, I was informed that I should pack a year supply of deodorant because I won't find any in Korea.  Secondly, I was told that if I have "big feet", (a.k.a. a size 8 or larger) I should plan on packing enough shoes for a year because I won't find any in a store.  And thirdly, I was told that I will be treated like a celebrity in Korea...so I should get used to people posing next to me and taking my picture!  Korea will be quite the self-esteem booster it seems!

I feel a combination of disbelief, nervousness, and excitement.  Mostly excitement. This adventure will include a lot of "firsts".  1) I have never lived completely alone (I've always had a roommate) 2) I have never been away from home for more than 6 months at a time 3) I have never been to Asia 4) I am going to a place where I can barely speak the language 5) I am working abroad and don't have to pay taxes! 6) I will probably eat kim chi every day! 

I fly from MSP to Chicago, then Chicago to Seoul on February 18th.  I will have an 8-day orientation with English teachers from all over the world (Canadians, South Africans, Brits, and Aussies included!) in Daejeon, South Korea.  Daejeon is also the city where I will be living.  It is the 5th largest city, known for having many universities and located in the center of the country.  I should have great access to transportation since the 2 main railways converge there!

I have been told that I will probably be teaching 4th, 5th, and 6th graders.  I will be teaching alongside a Korean Co-teacher as well.

Counting down the days and scrambling to pack!  Wish me luck on my adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment