Monday, March 4, 2013

1st few days at Middle School

The first day at Taepyeong Middle School was filled with introductions and opening ceremonies.  In the afternoon many of the students' parents got to meet me.  I spent all day long bowing and saying "annyeong haseyo"  (hello) and "ma-na-seo-ban-gap-seum-ni-da" (nice to meet you).  People were so surprised that I was attempting to speak Korean, all my co-workers started applauding when I said it. Haha!  


On the first day the school made a reservation for lunch at a Korean restaurant where we all ate bulgolgi on the floor.  It was amazing!

After lunch we went to the "meet the parents" reception.  As I bowed on stage I heard cheering from the students' section.  As I got off stage a little 7th grade girl ran up to me and shouted, "you are so beautiful" and then scurried off. It is very strange being the only non-Korean in the school.  I stand out like a sore thumb.  Sometimes I wish I could walk down the hallway without people staring at me.  I doubt that will ever happen.  I guess I will get used to all the attention.  In fact, I bet I will start feeling strange if they aren't staring at me...

After school was over, all the new teachers were invited out to another traditional Korean restaurant.  This time we ate Bulgogi with Mushrooms and salad.  It was even more delicious than the lunch.  The new principle said a few toasts.  Then we clinked our glasses together.  Most of the men had soju, traditional Korean alcohol...which I think is similiar to vodka.

The second day of school I taught two classes.  I was going to teach three, but my third class was canceled at the last minute.  I was told to be prepared for last minute changes.  Schools don't run on a strict schedule like back home.  The schedule changes every week...and even within the same day there will be variations. 

I was informed that I will be in charge of editing the school's English newspaper every month.  I also will be giving adult English conversation classes to the staff outside of school.  I will be doing a summer and winter English camp during vacation, and I may be even teaching some Spanish classes on Saturdays.  We shall see.  Every day I learn something new.

My first class was kind of chaotic.  First of all, the PowerPoint I had prepared with all my pictures, didn't work because the TV monitor wasn't working.  So I had to improvise.  It was a class of all boys--8th graders--many of whom seemed unmotivated.

The second class went better.  Even though that TV monitor also didn't work, I was able to walk around the room with my laptop and show the pictures.  The class was much more active and participated.  I love the 6th graders!  They are so cute! 

I have lunch at 12:55pm in the cafeteria.  It is the healthiest lunch ever...and it is so good for cafeteria food! It is a good deal too, since for a whole month, it is only $50. 



Until next time,
Annyeong hi-kay-seyo

1 comment:

  1. 20 years ago in Japan kids would stare at me regularly. Now, at Misaki's Kindergarten they just ask "Where is your hair?" and then run off while I try to explain. *SIGH* I miss the 90's ....and my hair.

    ReplyDelete