Monday, March 25, 2013

A Teaching Slip-up!

I have suddenly reached a new comfort level in teaching.  I know longer hesitate when I decide to demand the class' attention.  Teaching seems to come very natural to me now.  I have become more confident, at least.  I have also gotten into the swing of preparing my lesson plans very quickly.  My routine is to give the class a warm-up activity, we quickly review last lesson's material, and then I present the theme of the day.  I give the students a model and sometimes explain cultural differences.  Then, I move on to an activity.  The students fill in their ideas on a worksheet, and then if they raise their hand and say it in a complete sentence they get a point.  If they fill their entire sheet of paper with points, they will earn a small prize from my co-teacher!  I see hands shoot up in the air, fighting to get points.  It is really fun to see so many kids participating just for points and hopes and dreams of receiving candy.  As long as they are speaking English, I am happy.

Today's lesson was...let's just say...I messed up.  Today's theme was "My Favorite Things."  All class period, we shared our favorite sports, our favorite Korean food, our favorite non-Korean food, what we like to do in our free time...  And then I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to teach the kids the song, "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music.  I handed the class a sheet of paper with song lyrics and some spaces where they had to fill in the blanks with the missing words.

I told the students to listen first, and then write in the missing words.  I turned on the youtube video...and of course, a stupid youtube advertisement started playing.  Usually it gives me the option to skip the ad, and go straight to the video, but no, the ad just kept going.  All the students seemed to have seen this ad a thousand times because they all started doing their own impression of the ad.  They started lifting their arms up and shouting out the lines.  What I didn't realize, was that this was a Korean bra commercial!  At the very end it displayed the bra, and of course...this being a class of all boys age 12, they started rolling around on the floor, hooting and hollering like monkeys.  My co-teacher just looked at me and sighed... haha, oh God.  Whoops!  I guess I should be more prepared. 

...So much for being so confident in my teaching abilities! 

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAH this is hilarious. Of COURSE it had to be a bra commercial!

    ReplyDelete