Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Volunteering at Daejeon Paws Dog Shelter

Last weekend I volunteered to work at Daejeon Paws dog shelter! It is a non-kill shelter run entirely on donations. My theatre group donated all of our proceeds to the shelter. The donation made the Korean woman who runs the shelter extremely happy, but donations alone are not enough. Last Sunday, my friends and I helped her walk her dogs, get them some exercise and social time with humans! The dogs were so cute, but some of the dogs you could tell had been treated poorly...they seemed nervous when people wanted to touch them!
My friends and I went in a big group, walking our dogs and picking up poop! We got quite attached to the little doggies. We decided to give them all names to fit their personalities and hairdos. I named my dog Jonathon, only to find out later that his given name was 'Hamlet'.  So later he became 'Jonathon George Hamlet'! Then there was Chewy, Marilyn, Doris, and Mo. All such sweet dogs.
We were all amazed at how clean this woman kept the shelter. The shelter is basically her house, but she cleans it so much, it hardly smells at all! We watched her clean up with fire! Our jaws dropped as she burned the cages with fire to get rid of any stench! That Korean lady really touched my heart! She works so hard taking good care of those dogs!
We were all very moved and we plan on going back a few Sundays a month to walk the dogs again!
The wonderful Korean woman working hard taking care of these dogs!
'Jonathon George Hamlet' and me
Lynne and 'Chewy'
Lindsay and I cuddling a bunch of doggies!
Lindsay and 'Marilyn'
Jo and 'Jonathon' together---'Jonathon' looks so happy!!! Awwwweee!

No comments:

Post a Comment